What is IVF?:
● It involves collecting an egg from a woman’s ovary and fertilising it with sperm.
● Later, the embryo is implanted into the woman’s uterus. Depend on the condition, the IVF can use:
● either your egg
● and/or your partner’s sperms
● or both can be used from the donor.
There can be multiple unexplained reasons for infertility. but, some common reasons are,
● Uterine fibroids
● Reduced ovarian function like PCOS
● Planning pregnancy at a late age or over 40s
● Reduced sperm count or damaged sperm
Process of IVF:
It is necessary to understand the IVF procedure, in order to make up your mind. The steps involved in IVF are,
● Ovarian stimulation – where ovaries are induced to produce multiple eggs
● Egg retrieval – here, the matured eggs are collected through aspiration
● Semen collection – here, semen samples are collected from the male partner
● Embryo culture – where the fusion of egg and the sperm takes place in the lab
● Embryo development – in which the growth and development of the embryo is monitored
● Embryo transfer – where the grown embryo is implanted into the uterus
● Finally, the Blood test is taken after 2 weeks to confirm pregnancy. Thus, talk to your doctor extensively to know your health and to decide the best for you.
Special thanks to Dr.Kedar Ganla (MD, DNB, FCPS, DGO, DFP) for the expert advice.